Tuesday, 5 February 2013
|Location||Pathanamthitta and Idukki, India|
|Nearest city||Adjacent to Periyar|
|Area||305 kilometer square|
|Governing body||Department of Kerala Forest|
|Summer Temperature||31° C|
|Winter Temperature||15° C|
- 1895 – Mullaperiyar Dam construction
- 1899 - Periyar Lake Reserve formation was done.
- 1933 - S.C.H. Robinson was the 1st game warden
- 1934 - Nellikkampatty Game Sanctuary was formed
- 1950 - Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary was consolidated
- 1978 - Periyar Tiger Reserve got the declaration.
- 1982 - Preliminary notification for the core areas was given
- 1991 – It was under the Project Elephant.
- 1996 - Eco-development India Project was launched.
- 2001 – 2 divisions got re-organized, Periyar East and Periyar West
- 2004 –Periyar Foundation was formed
- 2007 – Addition of 148km2 through Goodrical Range from the Ranni Division.
The temperature of this place is dependent on altitude and it is in the range of 15 degrees to 31 degrees in the month of April and May. The precipitation amount is between the two thousand and three thousand mm and maximum amount of precipitation would be taking place in the south west part and that is mainly in the months of June and September. During the months of October and December, precipitation in smaller amount would take place in north eastern part.
Best Time To Visit
The time between the Octobers to May is regarded as best time and you would get to see ample of elephants and maximum numbers of water sources are very dry during this time and you would get to see ample of elephant herds around reservoir. Grasses are very smaller in size and therefore other animals can be seen easily.
31oC Winter: 15oC annual Mean rainfall is around 2030 mm.
South western monsoon would be lasting from the months of June till August or September and maximum number of rainfall would be taking place in the months of July and August. During the September and October, very high rainfall would be taking place.
Places To Visit
If you are interested in exploring this place, then do it through the help of boat, and enjoy the watch towers can be checked up very easily. If you are at the Eddapaliyam, then from hotel you can easily check out the gaur, wild boar and elephants and they would be grazing in the forest. Trekking is one of the best options and you would be getting access to the guides through Forest department. If you are at the Thanikuddi and then take a walk till Mlappara, this is mainly recommended for those people who are interested in spending their nights in the basic camp. You would also get to view the spectacular mighty river and that would be rolling through the grasslands along with Sivagirimalai Mountain. This would provide you with the amazing view of the area. The forest area is very thick and therefore you would be able to view the multicolored fishes and they are present in 3 mahseer types and that would be more than 20 kgs. Mlappara is regarded as the evergreen forest gateway and entire canopy would be closed and leaf litters are very damp and thick. When you would be walking on the footfalls and they are mainly cushioned and it would smell similar to the fallen logs and they are also overgrown through termite mounds, fungi and moss.
You would also get to check out the Moolavaiga and this is the place where river would be turning broad and that would be placid through pebbles and sandy river bed. This is regarded as the giant squirrel heart along with the lion-tailed macaque, Nilgiri langur along with Inperial Pigeon. You can also locate to the Kumily that is a tourist village and it is only 4 kms away and that mainly sells spices and handicrafts. You should also plan your trip towards park periphery and that would be costing Rs.35o and then you should plan your visit to the Wildife Thekkady Information centre. You would get here numerous of cassettes and wildlife books and experience the marvelous massage of ayurvedic oil. You would be able to see the Hindu Temple and that is located at the Mangladevi that is only 14 kms through Thekkady and the entry is restricted here.
How To Reach
You can easily get the flights through Madurai that is 145kms and Cochin that is 190 kms.
You would also get access to the trains through Kottayam that is only 114 kms and it is on the lines of Ernakulam-Thiruvananthapuram
You can easily get access to the Cochin or Madurai cars and Kottayam is one of the nearest towns and that is located in the 115 kms of west. All the buses would be leaving for journing in half an hour. Through, Thiruvanthapuram you can get access to the 2 direct buses and that would be leaving for 8 hours journey.
Within The Reserve
Diesel boats are also available and that would enable the visitors to check out the wild animals and forest small parts can also be accessed in an easy way.
Flora And Fauna
This entire reserve is covered through semi-green forest and that accounts up to 75%. You can also check out the tropical species and that is inclusive of Cullenia exarillata, Hopea parviflora, Canarium strictum, Vateria indica, Bischofia javanica and Artocarpus hirsutus. These are present at the height range of forty to fifty meters. 13% of forest range comprises the damp leaves and remaining 7% is Eucalyptus plantation. 3.5% is protected area and that is covered through artificial periyar lake along with the Pamba Rivers. However, this reservation would be accounting for more than two thousand flowering plants and that also comprises of different seed plants and 170 fern species as well. You would also get to check out the sweet grasses 169 families and Fabaceae 155 species and there are 145 representative orchids. There are 350 plans that can be utilized for the medical purposes.
This national park is popular for elephants and you can also get to view the 62 mammals as well. This is one of the reserves that is known for having highest number of protected elephant and tiger reserve. During the year 2010, there were approximately 53 tigers and you can also check out the playful elephants and this number was 900 individuls. Some of the other mammals that were found here includes- barking deer, Bison, foxes, mouse deer and leopards. You would also get to view the Nilgiri Tahr along with Bonnet Macaque, lion-tailed macaque and common langur.
There is a wide range of 320 birds and that is- kingfishers, cormorants, Pied Hornbill and Drongos.
There are 45 different kinds of reptile in the protected area out of which there are 30 snake, two turtle, and 13 lizard species. Among those are Monitor lizards that can be spotted basking in the sun on the rocks along the lake shore. Visitors who trek into the Periyar national park often see a Python and sometimes even a King Cobra.
You would get to view 27 species and 10 are endemic and they are present at Western Ghats
There are approximately 38 fish species and 4 are endemic and that includes Trout and Salmon.
You would also get to view the 160 butterfly varieties and that can make you ill as well.
Tourists would get to view 59 mammal species and this would provide a lot of fun and entertainment to the visitors. There are many of you who would be interested in taking their photos and especially when they are on their hind legs. If you are taking rest in the forest houses and then get the opportunity of checking out the wild boar and porcupine. Wild dog is one of the other animals that are also being poached to the larger extent and they are having bushy tails and they are reverberating in reservoir waters. Wild bison would be living in grassland areas and they would be peacefully grazing at hillsides in boat rides. You would also get to check out the mouse deer, barking deer and they would be grazing on succulent grasses and if you are lucky enough, then get a chance to check out the palm civet, jungle cat, jackal, mongoose and many more animals. You can also get to see sloth bears and they are mainly present around the Thanikuddi and this is also the place for tigers. You would get to see 4 different monkeys and these are very threatened species. Forest canopy is used for providing fruits and this is also the home for many mammals. 6 bat species have also been recorded. Monitor lizard is one of the reptiles and you would also get to view the 50 fish species and more than 200 species of birds are present in the Periyar. You can also get to hear the voices of drongoes and mynas along with the orioles. Some of the woodland birds include- Malabar Trogon, Frogmouth and Nuthatch.
You would be allowed in this park between 6:00 am till 6:00 pm.
You would be required to pay extra sum for guided tours and boat trips.
Where To Stay
Tourists would be getting access to the luxurious accommodation and that includes the Taj Retreat and you can also plan up your stay at the 32 cottage house. Tourists can enjoy their stay in the deluxe room along with the modern amenities.
- You would be provided with boat rides and timings are same
- In order to enter the park, you need to do it through the Thekkady village.
- Indians would be required to pay Rs. 25 and foreigners Rs. 300
WORLD HERITAGE SITES
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli Tourism
- Daman and Diu tourism
- Chandigarh Tourism
- Pondicherry Tourism
- Chhattisgarh tourism
- Jharkhand Tourism
- Uttar Pradesh tourism
- Arunachal Pradesh tourism
- Mizoram Tourism
- Tripura Tourism
- Meghalaya tourism
- assam tourism
- Punjab Tourism
- West Bengal Tourism
- Haryana Tourism
- Odisha (Orissa) Tourism
- Madhya Pradesh
- Kerala Tourism
- Nagaland Tourism
- Manipur Tourism
- Uttarakhand Tourism
- Goa Tourism
- Maharashtra Tourism
- Gujarat Tourism
- Rajasthan Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Himachal Pradesh Tourism
- Jammu & Kashmir Tourism
- Lakshadweep Tourism
- Andaman and Nicobar Tourism
- Tamil Nadu tourism
- Karnataka Tourism
- Andhra Pradesh Tourism
- South India Tours
- North India Tours
- Uttarakhand Valley Of Flowers Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Tarkeshwar Mahadev Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Rudraprayag Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Nanda Devi Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Uttarkashi Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Tehri Garhwal Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Sattal Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Hrishikesh Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Ranikhet Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Ramgarh Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Pithoragarh Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Pauri Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Patal Bhuvaneshwar Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Pangot Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Naukuchiatal Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Nainital Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Mussoorie Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Munsiyari Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Mukteshwar Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Lohaghat Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Lansdowne Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Landour Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Khirsu Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Kedarnath Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Kausani Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Kanatal Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Joshinath Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Jeolikot Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Harsil Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Gwaldam Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Garhwal Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Gangolighat Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Dwarahat Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Dharchula Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Dhanaulti Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Dehradun Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Abbott Mount Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Chopta Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Chaukori Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Champawat Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Chamoli Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Chakrata Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Binsar Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Bhowali Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Bageshwar Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Bhimtal Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Berinag Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Badrinath Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Auli Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Askot Hill Station
- Uttarakhand Almora Hill Station
- Alipore Zoological Gardens
- Allen Forest Zoo
- Arignar anna Zoological Park in Vandalur, Chennai
- Birsa Deer Park
- ChattBir Zoo
- Chennai Snake Park Trust
- Guwahati Zoo
- Indira Gandhi Zoological Park
- Jaipur Zoo
- Alipore Zoological Gardens
- Jawaharlal Nehru Biological Park
- ▼ February (367)